VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, which is a private connection through a public network (in this case the internet). It helps you to disguise your true IP address, so it will be safer for you to browse the internet on a public Wi-Fi. However, if you only want to use the safest and the most trusted VPN, you must find out what the best vpn that suits your needs.
Here are 2 things we can know from its name:
1. Virtual network, which means the network that occurs is only virtually. There is no real network connection between the 2 points that will be connected.
2. Private, the network formed is private where not everyone can access it. The data sent is encrypted so that it remains confidential even through public networks.
With this VPN, we seem to create a network within a network or a so-called tunnel. Tunneling is a way to make private lines using third party infrastructure. VPN uses one of the three tunneling technologies available: PPTP, L2TP, and the latest standard, Internet Protocol Security (IPSec).
Here are some ways VPN works:
– VPN requires a server that functions as a liaison between PCs, this VPN Server can be a computer with a VPN Server application or a Router
– To start a connection, the computer with the VPN Client application contacts the VPN Server, the VPN Server then verifies the username and password and if successful the VPN server assigns a new IP Address to the client computer and then a connection/tunnel will be formed.
– Henceforth, client computers can be used to access various resources (computers or LANs) that are behind the VPN Server, for example, transferring data, printing documents, browsing with the gateway provided from the VPN Server, doing remote desktop and so on.
Some of the advantages of VPN technology include:
– Remote Access, with VPN we can access a computer or office network, from anywhere as long as it is connected to the internet.
– Security, with a VPN connection we can surf safely when using public internet access such as hotspots or internet cafes.